Pacific Electric Red Car in Long Beach
Red Car eastbound on Ocean Ave. in downtown
Originally built in 1913 by Pullman and fondly known as Blimps due to their large size, this class of cars first came to the PE during WWII to start a special service to the shipyards to support war time work. They closed out service on the last running line, the Long Beach line, in 1961 most of which has been reborn into the Metro Blue Line.
See a restored 1907-vintage
Pacific Electric "Red Car" and two new replica railcars
carefully patterned after a 1909 Pacific Electric "Red Car"
Entire contents of